Chicago always has some huge conference or convention going on with tons of resources and opportunities to learn more about different subject matters. From things that are just hobbies to actual career focused events. Two weekends ago I headed out to the Donald E Stephens Convention Center to attend the Chicago Travel and Adventure Show. I’ve never been before so I didn’t know what to expect, but when I tell you my mind was blown. Believe me. So many different destinations all represented under one roof. It was a one stop shop for those who said “2019 would included more travel”. Hotels, tourism boards, vendors who offered adventure packages, rental car companies and so many other brands were there.
Instagram worthy photo opportunities
As I walked around I saw a real life camel. You could actually take a ride on him. I was mad at myself because I didn’t bring my boys with me because that would have been something they would have loved to experience. They also had indoor scuba diving/snorkeling. It was so cool to see people hop into the water and get the feel of it. That’s definitely an adventure! Many of the booths had small souvenirs or trinkets to give away and some even had samples of different products that makes their city or state popular. There were several photo opportunities with green screen and props! The Springfield tourism board had Abe Lincoln at their table and he was in full character. The Dominican Republic tourism board had a beautiful young lady dressed in one of their carnival outfits. She was so sweet!
Wait, where is that on the map?
My eyes were opened to different places my family and I could travel to. Also the idea of a girls trip popped up and my wheels began to turn, I hadn’t had a trip with the girls since Mardi Gras two years ago so I have to plan one for this year. The show offered so many different resources that it didn’t matter what stage of traveler you were there was something for everyone. The fact you could apply for your passport at the show was brillant. AAA was there to cover you on your road trips. Through out the day their were different classes and talks going on where you could really get expert help and advice on different travel topics. You name it and they had it. I was impressed.
I had a blast talking to the different reps and learning about different places and meeting new people. I have a few tips I gathered from attending the show and wanted to share it with you guys so you can be prepared and also to motivate you to attend the next Chicago Travel and Adventure Show because I will be there and I would love to see you!
- Be on time – If you get an early start you can see everything the show has to offer and you won’t have to rush or get antsy if you have to wait in a small line.
- Know what you want to do before the show – If there is a class you want to attend check the website out for the time and location so you can be prepared to attend the class or visit a certain town’s booth.
- Bring the kids – It’s something for everyone at the Chicago Travel and Adventure Show and I’m still kicking myself for not bringing my sons. Bring the whole family!
- Have an open mind – Don’t think you know everything about every city or country. Stop by the different booth you’ll be surprised about little facts you didn’t know.
- Buy tickets in advance – No need to wait in line to buy tickets. Buy tickets online so that you can get right into the show.
If you head over to my Instagram Page and look under event highlights you can see some video footage of the show. Overall don’t miss out on learning new things and finding cool places to explore. Make sure you plan to visit the next Chicago Travel and Adventure Show!