Yikes! It’s freezing. Monday felt like -12 and today the highest is 5! Yes 5 degrees. I know living in the Midwest means you are going to have cold winters, but this has been the coldest 2 days of my life. No joke!
The CPS cancelled school 2 days in a row which is a BIG deal. Mostly all Chicago government offices were closed, some CTA train services were shut down, and there were a few deaths reported in regards to men having heart attacks while shoveling the show. Illinois was declared a state of disaster!
Pretty scary right? So today my husband and I called and checked on the elderly, stopped at the grocery store to stock up in some food, and started the car and let it run a few so the battery wouldn’t die. The kiddo had to stay in because it was way too cold.
If you are in an area that is experiencing the frigid cold currently please follow these tips:
1. Make sure you have working jumper cables in your car. Your battery may need some help to start because of the cold. Also have a gas can in the trunk.
2. Start your car and let it run a while before traveling even if it’s a short trip.
3. Dress in layers!! Hoodies, leggings, two pairs of socks, etc. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
4. If you are using a space heater or turning on your oven for extra heat please monitor it and don’t sleep with them on, this may cause a fire.
5. To keep your home a little warmer cover windows and the base of the doors with plastic to keep draft air out.
Bundle up guys and stay safe!