Back to school time here in Chicago and all the parents are pretty excited! Summer came and went quickly and now Fall is staring us in the face. Dereon started school 2 weeks ago and it was all bliss until this past Monday when he started sneezing, coughing, and wiping his running nose. Sigh. I started to doctor him up immediately and in the process got myself sick. I started to feel real bad by Wednesday…Chance started to feel sick too. I’m still in the bed now trying to get to 100% before Monday. Chance is a fighter and he’s still getting into everything, but with a running nose and watery eyes. Dereon is feeling better since he has given his cooties to us. The husband has been working so hard he has kind of skipped the plague. Lol. Now that I look back at what I did wrong and I want to help you avoid the chaos a common cold can cause.
- Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer! Sounds easy I know, but we don’t wash our hands enough. We have to reinforce this on our kiddos as well because his is the main way we spread germs.
- Take your vitamins! I know that vitamins can get costly and sometimes people have different side effects, but I recommend finding a good multivitamin for you and the kiddos to help keep your immune system up.
- Get your rest! Sleep is important because it relates to immune system and it just helps your overall health. Getting 8-10 hours of sleep nightly may seem impossible, but if you put you phone down and turn Love and Hip Hop off and go to bed.
- Drink Orange Juice! Once I start feeling sick I instantly start downing orange juice. Vitamin C is jammed packed in orange juice which helps your body fight the cooties!
- Change your toothbrush! Your toothbrush is constantly collecting your germs every time you brush. When you use the same toothbrush you keep introducing those germs to your body so it’s hard to fight those nasty cold germs. Cop a new toothbrush and thank me later.
I hope these tips help you and your family stay cold free this Back to School season.
Today was a lot of fun! Hung out with the oldest kiddo today and joined a group we are a part of through his school Turning The Page. This program offers really cool, cultured, & free field trips for the members of the school that they partner with. They also host great family events at the schools every month to get families engaged with their student’s learning, meet other parents, etc.
The adventure today was creating art work with recycled materials! I love being creative and trying new things out so this was lots of fun. Dereon enjoyed getting messy with the paint and exploring painting with different types of objects.
While we created masterpieces I took a break to observed the amazing view from the art room.
The art class was held at SAIC at Homan Square. They offer so many different programs so definitely check them out if you or your children are into art and exploring.
Today was a priceless moment for Dereon and I. He didn’t have to hear me say not to make a mess or have to create what everyone else was creating. He was able to be free and creative and let his artistic side out.
A huge thank you to Turning The Page for giving parents these opportunities to connect with their children.
Oh and I know you want to see some of our masterpieces so I’ll post a few pics below. Make sure you follow me on Snapchat so you can see all the behind the scenes of my daily random life. ❤️
Movie-lovers are welcomed to visit any Cinemark theatre on Saturday, August 20, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. local time to view free select DreamWorks Animation movies, including Shrek, Kung Fu Panda 3, Home, How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted: the ideal indoor getaway to beat the late summer heat and provide fun for the whole family!
Select concession items will be specially priced at $2, including small popcorn, 16-ounce soft drinks and all packaged candy. Exclusive ME to WE Rafiki bracelets will also be available for $3 each. Proceeds from the promoted concession items and Rafiki bracelets will be donated to benefit WE Charity, a charitable division of WE. WE is a unique family of organizations that brings people together and gives them the tools to change the world, locally and globally.
School has started back for some and is around the corner for others enjoy a cheap family movie date while giving back! Click here to find the closet location to you.