It’s official Fall is here. Chicago had a calm summer not too many real hot days and lots of warm days. However Fall has come in with a vengeance. It’s really chilly and the sun doesn’t stay out long at all. I don’t mind Fall to be honest Fall is my favorite because I love a good movie, under a blanket and a lovely warm hearty dinner.
I decided to start looking for some easy meals to make this Fall for the family and I thought about cabbage. It’s fairly easy to make, affordable, and pretty tasty when you add the perfect meat and seasoning. Last Sunday I decided cabbage would be our dinner and I began prepping.
Cabbage is pretty easy and there are many ways to prepare it, but this is how I made mine.
1. Cleaned and chopped my cabbage.
2. Boiled the cabbage with my basic seasonings (season salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic.)
3. After the cabbage boiled down I sliced up some Johnsonville Natural Brats and sautéed them in a skillet until they were brown on both sides.
4. After the brats were browned I added them to the cabbage.
5. As the brats and cabbage cooked together I quickly made a batch of cornbread.
And then BOOM! All done!
Let me tell you my house smelled amazing! Dereon kept asking when dinner would be ready. Lol. The prep only took about 10 minutes and I cooked the cabbage at medium heat for an hour. The brats only took about 5 minutes to brown and they finished cooking off in the cabbage.
Johnsonville’s new Naturals Brats really gave my cabbage a kick and made it more hearty. The packaging is smart because it has a clean and simple label. Plus the Naturals line does not contain artificial ingredients, flavors, colors or preservatives. The line focuses on high quality, natural ingredients, such as premium cuts of meat and flavorful spices to deliver great taste. I’m a true witness to that!
What’s your favorite Fall dish? I’m looking for a few more to add to the rooster but I will surely be using this cabbage and Johnsonville combo again!