Chicago is a pretty cold place in the Winter and unfortunately I’m not a cold outdoor type of person. I need heat! For some reason kids are opposite they can be outside and play until their noses are numb. Since Dereon is the only child it’s a lot of times he wants to go outside and play and the next door neighbor’s kids aren’t home so he expects me or daddy to come out and play with him. Now in the Summer time I will leave my central aired house for a little fun in the sun, but I don’t stay out too long. Now in the Winter you will hardly catch me playing anything! Even though I was born in the Winter, I’m not a fan. Lol
So I started themed days with the kiddo and my husband to ensure we have fun on the days we decide to stay in. Now this list isn’t the first time you’ve done these things. We’ve all done them even in the Summer months however now that it’s Winter you need to put a little more effort into the fun:)
1. Movie Night: Ok, how many times have we all done this? A million! But kick it up a notch! Have everyone pick a movie (grab some from RedBox or go through your movie collection or Netflix). Make old fashioned popcorn that pops on the stove (kids love it)! Make sure everyone has a cozy blanket so you guys can relax while enjoying a few movies together. If your couch isn’t big enough or comfortable bulid a pallet on the floor with tons of pillows and comforters. A fun and relaxing night for all.
2. Pj Party: Everyone puts on their favorites Pajamas and get ready for a fun night! Let the kids invite one guest over for the fun. Order pizza, grab some snacks, bring out the boom box! This is the time for silly games, lots of laughing, and dancing. Parents VS. Kids in a dance battle, Truth and Dare Pajamas style, and the famous Pj fashion show where you get to walk the runway in your favorite Pjs and listen to the critics to see if you really have what it takes. Can you say fun? Be prepared to have a ball.
3. Game Night: In the Pyles’ household we play board and video games a lot together. Dereon is a big gamer and so is my husband which kinda drags me into it as well. However when we label a night Game Night my son already knows we are going to be active all night. I love to start the night off with a Wii U Dance competition (Just Dance and Michael Jackson being my favorite). After that Dennis and Dereon normally takes over the Xbox 360 and gets in to a little NBA action while I finish up dinner. Most of the time it’s nachos or tacos for that night. We then pull out the Uno Cards, Monopoly, Clue, Operation, and depending how I feel Twister LOL. The winner of the night normally talks junk until we all fall asleep.
4. Family Cookathon: Cooking with the family is fun! Even though my husband is a Chef, I still throw down in the kitchen. LOL. I encourage my son to help us cook as well and when we have our family Cookathon I make sure to cook something we all like and can all help with. For example spaghetti, garlic bread, and a garden salad. Don’t forget dessert! Maybe a cake or our favorite cookies. We have the music blasting in the kitchen and everyone gets a task to complete. Of course Dereon get the easy stuff since he’s only 7, but he likes the responbility. He cleans the lettuce, helps shread the cheese, places the garlic bread on the cooking tray, in charge of tasting the spaghetti sauce and if we bake a cake the job is 90 percent his. He adds the ingredients, mixes everything with the help of his dad and a mixer, puts the batter in the pan and we place it in the oven while he sets the timer. After the cake cools he is to decorate it. When we make cookies he’s in charge as well. Once everything is done he sets the plates and the music is turned off. We all sit down and pass the food family style while we talk about our day and the cooking process. The experience is filled with bonding and good food! Who knows the kiddo might be a Chef one day!
Bonus 5. If you’ve done all that’s mentioned above and want to push the envelope here are some more ideas I haven’t tried yet, but plan on doing this Winter!
*DIY project: Bulid something together maybe a book shelf or everyone make picture frames for Christmas gift perhaps?
*Scrapbook: Everyone works on a sheet to add to the family scrapbook or everyone can make their own!
* Karaoke night: I’m currently looking for a Karaoke machine since I’m a karaoke addict, but some game systems like the Wii and Xbox has Karaoke games you can buy and play on the system. Find fun songs that you and the kids would enjoy and get down!
It’s up to us how we spend our Winter days. You can chose to be stuck in the house bored out of your minds or you can use some of your creative juices and make a cold night in a night to remember. If you have any other cool ideas let me know. I’m all about trying new things.